Monday, October 12, 2015

Families

My Ecuador Host family 
Family is a funny thing. We all have one and we all hold a certain position within our own. However, there are times when families welcome in an outsider and consider them one of their own. Sometimes it is hard to find your place within a new family, and sometimes you fit right it. I have had the fortune of being welcomed into many families and am thankful to each one for the time that I had with them and was welcomes with open arms.
             
While living in Ecuador I am staying with a family. They consist of a mother (Maria), a father (José), and two twin boys (Mateo and Tomas). Like every other family they have their own special quirks and dynamic that make them unique. However, in the end families all represent the same thing: Love.

This past weekend I went on a trip with my host family to their beach house. I think it is important to
build these relationships so I went on this trip as an opportunity to bond and get to know them better. Language barriers are always a frustrating part of the experience because it limits my ability to share and open up to them, which is something I tend to do quite easily and freely in my own language.  It was really nice getting away from the city and seeing them in their own element, but something unexpected happened. While being immersed in this new family, I began to miss my own.  As I watched my family interact and as I joined in I missed the feeling of ease that comes when I’m with my own family. I don’t have to try, I don’t have to watch what I say, I can be free to be within the comfort of what is familiar. That is not to say that it is always easy. Family life is hard. But even when it’s hard, the hardness is familiar.

My host Mom in Grenada
            During my time in Ecuador I have found myself being more reflective and reminiscing on the past 5 years. Maybe it is because I know that soon this life style will be coming to an end and I’m in for the 9 to 5 wake up call. Regardless, I have looked back and remembered all of the families that have touched my heart throughout this experience and am so thankful I had them. It is these families that have made these experiences so wonderful and complete. With that being said it also makes me look forward to the future, because regardless of where I end up I know I have a family that will welcome me in. Whether it’s Israel, Grenada, Ecuador, I know I have a home.  However, in the end nothing compares to my home  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment