Monday, October 5, 2015

What You’ve missed

This is what gradschool in portland looks like 
Working for Tevel b’Tzedek allowed me to experience community development and cultural immersion the way I had planned on experiencing in the Peace Corps. As I explored options of how I wanted to turn these experiences into a career I looked to graduate school for the answers. A masters program in International Development at Concordia University jumped out at me and is where I decided to find the answers to the never ending question: What do I want to do with my life?
Over the next two years I will spend one year in Portland, OR and one year abroad with my first and last semester in the states, my second semester in Thailand and my third in Ecuador. As I write this post I have already completed my first semester in Portland and am in the middle of my semester in 
Thailand.  
Being abroad as a graduate student has been quite an adjustment in comparison to the type of traveling I have done the last 3 years. While in the Peace Corps and with Tevel b’Tzedek I was meant to integrate into the culture and be apart of the community, as a student in Thailand I am not having the same cultural exchange. For the time I am here I will live with westerners, have classes with westerners, and for the most part socialize with westerners. The only significant access I have to local Thai’s will be through my internship at Our Choice. 
            Our Choice is an organization that offers services to the HIV/Aids population in Thailand. There are attempting to put into motion several programs and initiatives but unfortunately have run out of funds. Therefore as their intern, my focus thus far has been on fundraising.

No comments:

Post a Comment