Monday, October 5, 2015

Thailand in a Nut Shell

So in terms of keeping up with this blog, I dropped the ball in Thailand. So far writing this blog has mainly been about my cultural experiences abroad. However, Thailand wasn’t exactly a cultural experience for me in the same way it has been in the past. While I was living in a different country, meeting many new people, and having amazing experiences they were all within a safe cultural bubble of grad school. While I think culturally experiences are important, that isn’t necessarily what Thailand was about for me. Going back to school was to figure out a new direction and understand what I want to do within this field. While I have been working with youth for the majority of my life, I was feeling that it was time for a change.
       
Workshop on how to weave baskets
out of plastic wrappers 
    
As many of you read, while working in Nepal I became very interested in consumption and the production of waste.  In many western countries trash has become an “out of site, out of mind” situation. However after living in Asia for two years I was forced to look at trash everyday and realize that, waste is a human creation and it needs a human solution. I was blessed with an amazing mentor in Nepal, Gili, who was also very interested in helping solve the problem of garbage and waste. In an effort to help me become more involved in these issues, she taught me how to crochet with plastic bags. When I first was learning it was more of a therapeutic exercise. Gili knew I was having a hard time in my initial months in Nepal and helped me redirect that energy into something productive.  However I soon became obsessed. I was crocheting plastic all day, everyday, some might even argue I was doing it my sleep. I soon became known as the crazy plastic lady around the village. But what also happened was that people became interested! I first used the skill as a way to integrate with the youth. However as time passed women started asking questions. They wanted me to make them bags. I told them that I wouldn’t make them bags, but I would teach them how to make the bags themselves.
My landlord in nepal with her purse she made out of plastic!
 Overtime I began to see the possibilities of this in a development project. To make a bag all someone needs is a needle and access to trash and once the bag is made it has the potential to be sold! While I continued thinking about the possibilities of this idea, I wasn’t sure what it would look like in real life or what the appropriate demographic would be to work with, because while it would have been amazing to work with the Nepali women they did not have time to spare on creative art projects.
      It wasn’t until my semester in Portland that the idea began to take form. First I learned about Social Enterprises, a business  that is working to solve a social problem. That is what I wanted to create. But again with who? Then in Thailand I had the opportunity to intern at Our Choice. As their intern I was helping them look for funding however one day I saw some awesome lime green plastic bags in the office and I asked if I could take them. She said of course but wanted to know why. I showed her some of the pieces I had made, and explained that I just did it for fun. She immediately started asking me questions about whether I would be interested in teaching people how to do it and whether I had access to a market in the states where I could sell them. It was in that instant that I knew I was in the right place at the right time. This was demographic of people! Our choice works with the HIV/AIDS population of Thailand. This group of people is extremely marginalized and it is very hard for them to get work. Therefore the people I wouldn’t be working with would not only have plenty of available time but also needed employment!
The first Vocational Training 
            The project started with me providing two vocational trainings at a local hospital that Our Choice works with. After two-three trainings the group narrowed down to the people who were actually interested in participating. I am officially working with 5 women who all have HIV and have been discriminated against and are out of work because of their. Through this project I am trying to help give them a sustainable living. 
selling Tashé bags at The Jewel and
Lotus pop up shop this summer
Now that I knew the project was actually happening I had to set up a business plan. First thing was the name: Trasheé Designs. I had actually come up with the idea of Trashé in Nepal and fell in love with it and couldn't veer away from it. Then it was making a website and all of the social media that goes along with having a business, aka facebook, instagram, twitter, etc. Then came the hard part: selling the bags. Once I came home from Thialand I did everything I could to sell all the products I came home with as well as find venues to sell products in the future. I am happy to announce that in 2 short months I was sold out of all my products and was able to put in a second order for bags this upcoming spring!
            While I had hopes of finding a path in graduate school, now that I have its even better then I could have imagined. It’s an amazing feeling to be excited about the work you are doing and feel like you are doing something important to help others. To learn more about the project go to trashedesigns.com and hopefully Products will be available to purchase online soon!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment